Thursday, May 25, 2006

I Salute Parents With Kids At War

This past Monday, my son Justin was accidentally hit on the forehead by a hardball, while playing catch with his buddy. My heart sank when I first lay eyes on the huge, blackish bump on his head. My heart sank further when I saw Justin sobbing from the pain. As a parent, I don't want to see my child go through any pain what-so-ever. I am all too aware that bumps and bruises are a necessary part of growing up, because I (we all) have been through them. Justin will be a better catcher because of the accident. Nonetheless, as a parent, it's very hard to bear. I can't imagine what it must be like for a parent to have to see a son or daughter at war, whether on enemy ground fighting for the freedom of others or in a hospital bed battling the enemy within. The unbearability those parents endure must be thousands time more than what I felt on Monday.

I salute all parents with kids at war.

No comments: